Life Changing Bread
What would be a secret recipe if I didn't think it might reduce consumption of plastic bread packaging significantly...
- 1 1/2 cup soaked buckwheat (soak overnight, then drain)
- 1 cup sunflower seeds
- 1/2 cup pepitas
- 1/4 cup almonds (or any nuts)
- 1/2 cup flaxseeds
- 1 tablespoon sesame seeds
- 2 tablespoons chia seeds
- 4 tablespoons psyllium husk
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 1/2 cup water
- 3 tablespoons coconut oil, melted
- 1 teaspoon slippery elm (optional)
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup (optional)
*You don't need to stick to these specific seeds and nuts, you may wish to experiment as you get to know this recipe and mix in different kinds of nuts, herbs, spices!
- Mix all ingredients together in a large bowl
- Line a loaf tin with baking paper or coconut oil and pour your seed mix into the tin. Cover with cloth and let sit overnight (or 4 hours if you are despo for bread in your life).
- Bake bread in oven at 160C for 1 hour or until top has browned and crisped.
- Remove from oven, flip loaf upside down onto a wire baking rack and pop back in the oven for another hour.
- Remove and let cool for at least 1 hour.
Delicious with anything. Store in the fridge! Try toasting the loaf, if too delicate for the toaster, just let rest on a no-stick skillet on the stove!
Bread comes packaged in plastic to stay "fresh." But can you even pronounce all the ingredients they slip into that dough, much less digest them? Plus all this gluten-free hoohaw makes us all socially conscious of our carb consumption. Skip the stress, and make your own bread! It's not as daunting a task as it sounds and it is far more delicious, nutritious, and energizing! Plus, if you buy your nuts and seeds in bulk, you will be reducing the plastic packaging that bread typically comes sealed up in.
Take charge of what you put in your body. Take charge of the pollution you personally create. Be healthy and clean in your body and on your earth.
Quit plastics, embrace living again!
recipe source: http://www.mynewroots.org/site/2013/02/the-life-changing-loaf-of-bread/