Vegan Banana Bread Recipe
We all have our guilty pleasures. Most sinful treats come wrapped in plastic film or packaging, tempting us to pollute the beaches with an easy purchase. Fortunately, most treats are easily made at home with your choice of ingredients to make it as naughty or as nice as you desire.
We just finished up Splendour in the Grass where the @barefootblenders gave us a box of 100 ultra ripe bananas. Keen not to waste such a delicious abundance, I have begun baking as many loaves of vegan banana bread as we have tins for.
- 4 medium or 3 large very ripe banana
- 1/3 cup plant-based milk (I used coconut milk)
- 1 tbsp ground flaxseed
- 1 tbsp chia seeds
- 1/3 cup melted coconut oil
- 2 tbsp maple syrup
- 2 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 1 tsp apple cider vinegar
- 1 tsp cardamom powder
- 1 pinch nutmeg
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp bicarb soda
- 1/2 cup rolled oats (optional)
- 1/2 tsp fine sea salt
- 1 1/2 cups whole grain spelt flour (plain flour works, too)
- Toppings: sliced banana, pepitas, walnuts, choc chips
- Preheat oven to 350F or 180C.
- Lightly grease your baking tin with coconut oil.
- In a large bowl, mash the banana.
- Stir in wet ingredients.
- Stir in dry ingredients until there are no flour chunks in the bowl.
- Spoon dough into the pan and spread evenly. Gently press your desired toppings into the dough.
- Bake uncovered for 45-55 minutes, until lightly golden and firm on top. (The loaf should spring back when touched)
- Let loaf cool in tin for 30 minutes. Then pop out of tin and let cool on the cooling rack.
- Slice & serve warm!