Plastic Free Pasta Made From ANYTHING You Can Peel
Noodles are delicious. Most of the time pasta is packaged in plastic, so us plastic-free folk have to abstain from the traditional pasta dishes--unless you find it in a bulk foods store. On top of my resolve, I remind myself it is full of carbs! Not fresh! Typically not vegan.
Fortunately, pasta can be made with any kind of noodle! I like to peel a zucchini or a carrot into a noodle. Here is a zucchini noodle pasta recipe, that can be enjoyed RAW or slightly cooked.
Eating plastic-free is good for the Earth and your body! This recipe is made from ALL vegetables, so, your belly feels light after this pasta meal! Below you will find a recipe for Zucchini Noodles with pesto sauce. I advise doubling the pesto recipe, so you have some pesto dip leftover for picnics and parties!
- 5 Zucchinis
- 3 Yellow Squash
- 5 Garlic cloves
- 1 Sweet Potato
- 1 head of Broccoli
- 1 Tomato
- 2-3 cups Mushrooms
- 1 Red onion
- 2 Garlic cloves
For the Pesto Recipe go here.
- Chop the sweet potato and cut the broccoli into small florets. Toss in olive oil, sprinkle with salt and pepper, and spread on a tray. Put in the oven at 190C/375F to roast for an hour, tossing occasionally, until soft and caramelised.
- Put 1 tbsp olive oil in a pan on low heat. Slice onion into rings and drop into the pan.
- Chop 2 garlic cloves and slice mushrooms, drop into pan. Stir and let simmer.
- Chop the tomato and keep near the pan in a small bowl.
- Peel the zucchinis and yellow squash into long strips, these will be your noodles!
- Toss the noodles in 1 tsp of olive oil, let them soften in the olive oil while the veggies roast. This is your chance to give the noodles a little sauté, if you are not a fan of raw noodles.
- Keep pushing the onions and mushrooms until browned and the onions are caramelised.
- Make room in the pan for the tomato, let it simmer on the side.
- Take 3-4 tbsp of pesto and work through the zoodles. Add in the tomato and toss pasta.
- Plop noodles into bowls, scoop some sweet potato and broccoli into each bowl, and top with mushrooms and onions.
- ENJOY your plastic free pasta!